This Religious Stuff

"You guys believe this religious stuff for one simple reason: almost all of you were brainwashed washing into it when you were little kids. You can get a little kid to believe in Santa, to be a neo nazi, a racist, etc. You didn't choose your religion based on an indepth comparison of information, making rationale choices about which was best. A good example of this is that for most of you, your faith is the most important thing in your life, but have really investigated this faith, it's origins, it's history? If so, how did it compare to your analysis of other religions? After all, if your faith is so important, certainly you investigated at least all the major faiths of the world, didn't you? Oh, I forgot, you didn't do any of this, you were simply brainwashed when you were kids, and you are desperately clinging to your beliefs in invisible lords and angels, like a kid who doesn't want to stop believing in Santa. Look, I am not a liberal who hates the religious right. I am a conservative on most issues. I am with you guys on all issues except for faith. If you take a step back and really, really think about it, your beliefs are irrational, created in a time of such profound ignorance that our society simply doesn't understand."

The above was a comment made in one of the creation-evolution posts. I thought I should address it in the form of a post and here we go:

Indoctrination

The commenter suggests that almost all Christians were indoctrinated into the faith, brainwashed to believe in something we have never rationally considered.

Barna research (no longer available online, sorry) indicates only about 10% of believing Christians convert to Christianity as adults, while about one-third make that decision between the ages of 13 and 19 years of age. By that measure, better than half of all Christians consider themselves Christians as children. So it is fair to say that a majority of Christians could possibly have accepted the reality of Christ as children. But it is also fair to point to a large minority of people who make the decision as teens and adults. Beyond this, suggesting that the children were all indoctrinated is a baseless charge. If parenting is "indoctrination" or "brainwashing", then we parents aren't real good at it, unless large numbers of us have taught our kids to steal and cheat and even kill. Check out the prisons. Parents try to teach and guide but everyone has a free will and few parents actually use brainwashing techniques as part of parenting.

Few adults can be found who believe in Santa. We get older, we understand that parents were just telling us this story (based on a true story, actually) to make Christmas more fun for us as kids. Most people will evaluate and reevaluate their belief systems as they grow older, won't they?

Blanket statements are so often wrong and in my case, completely wrong. I have commented on my faith several times, Balance for example. I ended that post saying this:

"I'll end this. My father passed away, far too young, and for years it was hard for me to think of him because I missed him. Even when we were apart I had the knowledge that he existed in the world and would be there if I called. I trusted he would always be for me and would do what I could were I in need. This, and more, is the way I feel about God even though I cannot hug him or call him on the phone. It is not because I am stupid and don't know better. It is not because I am weak and need a crutch to hobble my way through life. It is because I wanted to know truth, sought it even in the midst of my wastrel existence, craved it because I could not conceive that life was truly meaningless. Yet I was not willing to make up a solution that appealed to my intellect or accept the solutions of others. I wanted Truth, the thing that would resonate within me as being the Answer and when it was there in front of me I could not help but choose to believe and follow. Then I had a touchstone in my life. Then I could begin to seek balance. I do hope for all of you that you do find your Truth and your balance as you make your way through this life."

In fact, I looked into Buddhism and Islam and assorted other eastern and mystery religions. I dabbled in Satan worship, well, more than dabbled. I read the Boo-Hoo Bible and sought enlightenment via LSD. I chanted. I read Dianetics by L Ron Hubbard. I considered Nietzsche and read everything I could get by Ayn Rand. I looked long and hard for something called Truth. I resisted the idea that Jesus Christ and that whole Bible thing could be the answer.

I Avoided Christianity

Like many of others, I had attended a few church services when invited by friends - Catholic and Greek Orthodox services were somewhat confusing and methodical. Old-line churches seemed devoid of any spiritual content. A newer church I attended once as a child seemed primarily focused on draining the congregation of their money. TV and radio preachers were apparently some combination of huckster and buffoon.

Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die

In time, having scrupulously investigated all sorts of religions and finding them wanting, I fell back to man's default setting: self-gratification. It was a form of surrender, for I had given up and began to consider myself an agnostic. Yet it ate at me, for something in me didn't want to surrender. There was a still, small voice prompting me to begin the search again. I was never entirely happy simply living out my life with no real foundation or purpose beyond my self and my family. Something was missing.

Three part man

Part of the problem was, I believe, that we are created in God's image. We are the creative ones, the ones who can think in abstract, the builders, the artists, the poets, the creatures unlike all other living things. We are part body, soul and spirit. The spirit part of me was continually dissastisfied until the time came that I looked into Jesus again, putting aside my preconceptions, and found Him to be exactly as He said in John 14:6 - “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

The difference

You see, there is a basic difference between Christianity and all other religions. In short, it is the difference between "do" and "done." All other religions require followers to do something, whether acts of worship and penance or adherence to rules, whether avoidance of sins or conformance to certain appearances, even the gathering of knowledge or a growing enlightenment. Everything hinges on what you do.

Christianity is about what is done. Jesus lived a sinless life and suffered a sinner's death. He went about continually doing good and yet all the sins of the world were placed upon Him at the cross, sins past, present and future - the sins of, among others, you and me. He was God yet was willing to take the form of man, live the life of a man and endure the death and scorn and suffering for the sake of everyone other than Himself. That is courage, and that is love, and that is what He did. He has then offered His sacrifice to us, a gift, that if received comes with salvation and an eternal existence with God. I didn't have to do anything to receive it, just simply believe and accept.

Sure, there are all sorts of lifestyle decisions Christians usually make. Most Christians at least try to live a life pleasing to God. How that is lived out can vary wildly from Christian to Christian. Billy Graham's lifestyle would be far different from that of Moby. But they both claim to belong to Christ.

Not a magic wand

If you receive Christ, you will be changed on the inside, spiritually. You will then tend to find that what is inside will begin to come out, especially if you consciously cooperate with that process. But becoming a Christian doesn't stop you from being able to commit sinful acts or have sinful thoughts. Life is still an adventure and a journey and I always have bad and good choices to consider every day of my life. At the end, though, I know my God will be waiting there to welcome me into His presence. It is kind of like a Leonard Cohen song:

"Hallelujah"

Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah


Check out Mark's take on Free Will here.

Also Backtracked on Samantha Burns;
Angel;
Linkfest Haven;
7 Deadly Sins

Then you can go to Neural Gourmet to take the Religion and Politics in American Life Survey
tng | 2006-06-09 17:06
- Courtesy of Stingray, thanks!