Betrayal

I electronically wrote to a man:

Alan Williams
Pace Island Home Owners Association
1545 Royal Fern LaneOrange Park, FL 32003
(904) 278-6560
awilliams2413@hotmail.com

and told him this:

"I am a vet from the Viet era. I remember walking through the airport in San Francisco to jeers and hatred instead of appreciation. You are one very lucky man that people like me, my dad and my son have all stepped forward and willingly put aside our lives and plans to defend our great country. My father-in-law was shot out of the sky and beaten and stabbed by the Nazis on the way to prison camp. My dad fought in Korea, my son in Afghanistan. And you? You fight to keep the subdivision free from welcome home signs for a returning veteran! Aren't you proud of yourself?"

Why? Because of this story from October 13th, 2008.
revealed in this blog...

"ORANGE PARK, FL -- It was supposed to be a very special homecoming. After being in Iraq 15 months, SPC Lauren Boitet was going to see her family.

"I'm just glad to be home," says SPC Lauren Boitet.

The family was rolling out the red carpet, so to speak, but the homecoming was dampened by the homeowner association rules.

"They removed the welcome home signs and balloons and flags," says Natalie Boitet.

Boitet says when they tried to recover the signs it turned into a confrontation with the association manager.

The Boitet family says the signs could have stayed up for a couple of hours. They say in the past the association had ignored other signs.

"There have been signs for birthdays and parties and they've never taken them down," says Dyan Boitet.

Boitet says there has to be exceptions to the rules.

Alan Williams is President of the Pace Island Homeowners Association. He said the problem is the signs and where they were located. Williams says flags are exempt from HOA rules.

Williams says the signs were in common areas and a resident complained that they could be viewed as political and supporting the war. Williams says that's why the signs were removed.

The association president says there are exceptions.

Williams says any resident can pick up the phone and call any board member for prior approval.

Williams says that did not happen.

Dyan Boitet says he will propose changes to the association rules at its next meeting."

Some people make it hard to like people. I was at Fort Benjamin Harrison when they began housing draft dodgers who were trying to return to the states. They were coming from Canada primarily, being housed in the barracks on the East side of the post. I had been drafted right out of college but I went anyway. They ran and now were slinking back.

I told myself some of them just didn't have the fortitude to stay and stand up as against fighting and therefore consciencious objectors. Maybe some left for their beliefs but I think most left out of cowardice and it was hard to be on the post with them.

When I was drafted, I screamed out in rage! I had a scholarship, I had a career path, no one had been drafted out of college before this particular year (and no one would any subsequent year as the collective rage of Americans made the politicians realize it was political suicide to support) and doggone it, it wasn't right! I had a Mustang convertible, a job that fit in with my class schedule, a girlfriend, a bright future.

My dad told me he would move the whole family to Canada if I thought I should evade being drafted. I don't know if he meant it or if he simply wanted me to consider how big the decision was and how much he supported me, his only son, no matter what I did. You know the story if you've read my blog for too long. Even as a teenager I realized there was more to life than just me. I decided that my country meant more to me than my distaste for the War.

As for the draft-dodging returnees, I realized that it was their problem, not mine. Thirty some years later, I can be proud that I served and they still have to live with what they did. I've forgiven, forgotten, and if you were one of them I don't even want to know. Truth is, as a young man you sometimes make decisions you regret terribly. I am sure plenty of the deserters have become wonderful men and worthwhile citizens. That one mistake has been forgiven by society and also by me.

But a grown man who goes and tears down welcome home signs for a returning veteran, a young person who gave up a big chunk of her life and risked that very life to serve every one of us? Not just crass, not just stupid, not simply unpatriotic and not just craven but symbolic of a greater truth: When "they" say they are against the war but they support the troops? Hogwash! More often than not, they don't support either one but don't have the guts to say it. Actions speak louder than words!

So I emailed the guy. He will probably just delete it. Made me feel better anyway.

Update! Yes, the Democrats did illegally access records on Joe the Plumber. Cover-up has already begun!

An Iraqi Veteran speaks to Barack Obama